The Salt Lake City Arts Council partners with local organizations to host literary events in the Finch Lane Gallery. Through the Guest Writer Series and the READ LOCAL Onsite events, the Arts Council hosts monthly readings that feature local and national writers and are free to attend. Dates for the 2019-2020 calendar year can be found below. Readings and location will be updated as they are confirmed.
Guest Writer Series
Organized by the University of Utah and hosted at Finch Lane Gallery, the Guest Writers Series brings distinguished authors to Salt Lake City with the goal of providing the community with an opportunity to engage in a dynamic, educational and inspiring relationship with literature. The series aims to bring in a diverse array of voices and perspectives, and to provide a platform for an enriching dialogue between our authors and the audience.
All events are hosted at the Finch Lane Gallery from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm unless otherwise noted.
- Thursday, August 22, 2019: Welcome Back Reading by University of Utah Graduate Students
- Thursday, September 19, 2019: Tom Sleigh & Alan Shapiro
- Thursday, October 17, 2019 (4:30pm – 5:30pm): Javier Zamora & Diane Williams
- Thursday, November 14, 2019: Aimee Parkison & Susan Briante
- Thursday, January 16, 2020: Kimiko Hahn & Lindsay Lusby
- Thursday, February 13, 2020: Robert Lopez & Patricia Smith
- Thursday March 19, 2020: Alen Hamza & Ceridwen Hall (Location: Weller Book Works)
- Thursday, April 2, 2020: David Shields & Miranda Mellis (Location: Weller Book Works)
- Thursday, April 16, 2020: Faculty Reading (Location: Weller Book Works)
REAL LOCAL Onsite
A collaboration between Salt Lake City Arts Council and 15 Bytes with support from Utah Humanities, READ LOCAL Onsite pairs emerging local writers with established writers for a reading and discussion of their work.
All events are hosted at the Finch Lane Gallery. Readings run from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
- Thursday, September 12, 2019: Erica Soon Olsen & Shane Camoin
- Thursday, October 3, 2019: 15 Bytes Annual Book Awards
- Thursday, February 27, 2020: Ranjan Adiga & Shauna Brock
- Thursday, May 7, 2020: TBD